Dynamic Entities and generated classes

May 31, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Has anyone thought about removing the reference to the web service and replacing it with the SDK Dlls?  This would allow LinqToCRM to be a common data access method accross customizations, not just the UI.  Currently it seems like we can't use it in workflow rules and plugins. 

What I would propose would be using the ICrmService interface and generating classes from the metadata using T4 templates to supply the typed classes.  The LinqtoCRM module would need to be able to project the resultset to DynamicEntities or the typed classes. 

Any thoughts?

Coordinator
May 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM

I haven't actually done plugin development on 4.0, so I'm not really aware of the constraints. The web service dependency has always been a liability, and getting rid of it would be a boon. I'd be unlikely to initiate the effort (I don't really use MSCRM anymore), but if you, or anyone else, want to give it a go, that'd be great. Note that we already have some code talking to the metadata service in the CRMMetal project.

Michael

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM

It has already been done by ADXStudio and by us, we generate C# and VB.NET code by looking at the metadata then allow you to query using linq, it took quite sometime...